The Government of India has offered varied benefits to small business owners with impactful campaigns like Make in India and Vocal for Local. It has resulted in the development of myriad job opportunities and enhanced the overall scope of business in the country.
In such an environment, it’s crucial for businesses to secure their niche market and formally establish their identity. This is especially true for small businesses. Trademarks present themselves as a lucrative solution for micro-small-and-medium enterprises (MSMEs) to expand in a competitive market. While small business owners understand what a trademark is, they might fail to comprehend its potential as an asset. In this article, we will take a detailed look at what trademarks are, the importance of trademark registration for MSMEs, and the advantages it provides.
Grow your MSME with collateral-free business loans
The Significance of Trademarks for Brand Building
Over time, there have been significant transformations in how we define a brand. It has become more than just about curating an attractive moniker and a suitable logo. The other side of creating a trustworthy brand entails a variety of other elements like quality, culture, identity, personality, public image, and essence. For MSMEs, this can become a way for consumers to easily identify their products and services and facilitate gaining a distinctive competitive edge.
Simply put, a trademark involves registering the name of a company so that no other organization can legally register under a similar name. A trademark registration gives you the legal rights to stop any other organization from using your company's name.
It is the perfect defence for MSMEs to protect their brand reputation and maintain a healthy relationship with their potential and existing consumers. Trademark registration is beneficial for small business owners, but it also helps their customers, as they can feel assured that the products or services are coming from a registered and trusted company. It eliminates the scope of your consumers being bluffed by duplicate brands.
Documents Required for Trademark Registration for MSMEs
MSME trademark registration is a simple and cost-effective process that can be completed online. As a small business owner, it gives you the exclusive ownership rights of your enterprise’s name and identity, which can be leveraged effectively in marketing and revenue building. Here are some of the documents that you will need to keep handy for trademark registration:
- Udyog registration certificate
- Copy of the logo/trademark of your brand
- Address proof of your enterprise
- Business details/ company profile
- Partnership deed or certificate of incorporation
- Contact details, ID proof, and address proof of the applicant
The Benefits of Trademark Registration
- Trademark registration protects an MSME’s identity legally. It makes you the legal owner of your registered brand and protects it from any form of misuse or violation. You cannot take any legal action without a registered trademark, even if your brand name is misused.
- One of the best things about trademark registration is that it facilitates the growth of your brand by giving it a unique identity. The uniqueness of your brand stops the competition from using your trademark in manufacturing or trading similar goods and services.
- A trademark creates an intellectual property that can work as an asset for small business owners.
- Another great benefit of a registered trademark is that it enhances your brand's visibility in several government databases. It establishes the trust and goodwill of your enterprise that is paramount in attracting and retaining customers for a long time.
The Road Ahead
Registering a trademark for your small business has an array of benefits; however, you need to ensure that you apply for it under the right class, and if necessary, seek the help of legal experts to ensure the registration is completed in the right way.
Once registered, the next step is to leverage the brand identity and help your small business excel in the competitive market. A business loan can really help you in this regard. Kinara Capital offers a range of collateral-free loans to MSMEs on flexible terms.
You can choose from our various products like working capital loans, asset purchase loans, or HerVikas loans for women entrepreneurs. With our quick and easy online loan application process, all you need to do is enter your details and upload your documents to our secured portal. We'll take care of the rest.
So, complete your trademark registration today, and witness your small business soar high above the competition!
- MSME Loan
- Business Financing
- Working Capital
- Fintech Loan
- Asset Purchase